Monday 25 February 2008

Final Thoughts on The Oscars

Well another year has come and gone. In my opinion this Oscar telecast was much more low key than past years, which probably has something to do with the writer's strike. The only time it seemed out of place was when it tried to go big ie. those terribly awkward "Enchanted" musical numbers (I still love you Kristen Chenoweth).

There wasn't much of a sweep with every single best picture nominee winning at least one award, but as predicted by many "No Country for Old Men" took the Best Picture prize. I was pretty happy the film won, I do think it is a masterpiece and the Coen Brothers made very funny minimal acceptance speeches for their best adapted screenplay and best director wins.

My favorite moment was of course Glan Hansard and Marketa Irglova winning for "Falling Slowly", I almost didn't care about any other nomination. They were probably the most down to earth people there that night, and Hansard's speech about "make art, make art" was very touching to me, then there was the classy move by Jon Stewart to bring Irglova back after she was cut off.

Speaking of Jon Stewart, I thought he did a solid job making his usual edgy political jokes with some cheery cynicism towards Hollywood, I hope he's back next year, or perhaps they might go with Stewart's right hand man Stephen Colbert wouldn't that be great?

All in all I very much enjoyed last nights show, it seemed to move along and I didn't really have any major problems with who won so good on you Academy see ya next year!!!

1 comment:

RC said...

i feel like the "falling slowly" win was a lot of people's highlite...

taht's pretty cool.

glad marketa got to make her speech.