Sunday 24 February 2008

Best Picture

Well I don't know how successful my polls were since this time I only got 2 votes. (Thanks to those two who voted.) What seems to be happening is that there is a "No Country for Old Men" camp and a "There Will Be Blood" camp building up between bloggers. Unfortunately there has to be one winner. If you saw my Top Ten list, you probably see that I am siding for "No Country for Old Men". I just saw the film for the third time yesterday, it has a certain quiet power I didn't get from the other four nominated films.

Perhaps I was a little too harsh with "There Will Be Blood" in my review, I want to see it a second time because I do respect the opinions of others who think of it as a masterpiece, as a whole it didn't work for me as well as "No Country". "Juno" would probably be my runner up choice for best picture and the one film I wish had more nominations in the acting categories. "Michael Clayton" and "Atonement" both have there merits but neither I thought were Best Picture contenders. When all is said and done, "No Country for Old Men" should take the prize and in my opinion deserves to.

Polls Pick: TIE: (THERE WILL BE BLOOD, NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN)

JEREMY'S PICK: NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN

JEREMY'S PREDICTION: NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN

OTHER NOMINEE PREDICTIONS:

Best Supporting Actor:

Jeremy's Pick: Javier Bardem (With a soft spot for Hal Holbrook)

Jeremy's Prediction: Javier Bardem

Best Supporting Actress

Jeremy's Pick: Cate Blanchett (for the coolest performance of the year)

Jeremy's Prediction: This is the one category that's up in the air for me but I'm thinking Amy Ryan since "I'm Not There" may be too out there for Academy members and although they may want to honor Ruby Dee, they have to see that her performance was just too small

Best Adapted Screenplay

Jeremy's Pick: Joel and Ethan Coen (With a soft spot for Sarah Polley)

Jeremy's Prediction: Joel and Ethan Coen

Best Original Screenplay

Jeremy's Pick: Diablo Cody (With a soft spot for Brad Bird)

Jeremy's Prediction: Diablo Cody

Best Director:

Jeremy's Pick: The Coen Brothers

Jeremy's Prediction: The Coen Brothers

Best Song

Jeremy's Pick: "Falling Slowly"

Jeremy's Prediction: "Falling Slowly" since the "Enchanted" songs will split the vote.

What Jeremy wants to see most.

I would love to see "Falling Slowly" win for best song since it's the only think "Once" was nominated for, I would also love to see "No Country" win in the best sound category since that was such a big element for telling the story.

No comments: