Saturday 9 February 2008

Best Actress Oscar

Well the polls are in and it looks like the majority of you have picked Julie Christie as your choice for the best actress Oscar. I don't see that I blame you, when I first saw "Away From Her" I called the Oscar race officially over since I didn't think anyone could come along and beat Julie Christie, and in my own innocent way I thought Gordon Pinsett was going to pick up some steam for his performance as well. Truly if Christie does walk away with the Oscar I won't be upset one bit.

However before I get to my persoanl preference for Best Actress I just want to mention how strong this usually weak category is this year. I could very well give Oscars to both Ellen Page, Christie, and Marion Cotillard, I think all three of them deserve it. I have not seen either Cate Blanchett's performance nor Laura Linney's who are both actresses I've admired before, but this really is a three way race between Page, Christie, and Cotillard. If the evening does in fact turn into a "Juno" upset than you may very well see Page pick up the award, and I wouldn't count out Cotillard too soon since she has snagged a few acting prizes already, granted that would be most of the ones Christie hasn't one already.

When it comes down to it, I think the oscar will go to Christie and as I have said above I wouldn't be upset, however as I think more about it my heart is leaning toward Cotillard. I'm usually distracted or annoyed by actors playing real life people, particularily when the film tries to span that person's entire life, however I believed Cotillard was Edith Piaf from the very beginning as a young girl singing on the streets of Paris, to the arthritic cripple she came to be in later life. I suppose it's what some people would call a tour de force. I also think "La Vie En Rose" lives and dies with Cotillard's performance, and she turns the film into something more special than it would've been.

Polls Pick: Julie Christie

Jeremy's Pick: Marion Cotillard

Jeremy's Prediction: Julie Christie

1 comment:

Oneliner said...

This is one of the strongest years for "Best Actress." I would be equally happy if Cotillard or Christie wins. I thought Laura Linney gave the best performace of her career to date in THE SAVAGES.