Saturday 16 February 2008

Is It Too Late to bring back Twin Peaks?

For starters I'm not much of a tv watcher anymore, there isn't much new television that interests me all that much. On a whim I decided to try out the new "Twin Peaks Gold Edition" which was released in late 2007 (I think I was attracted to the Gold Box).

I remember seeing the Pilot episode (European version) a long time ago and remember liking it very much, but other than that I never saw a single episode of the actual show. I just finished all 30 episodes last night and for the most part I was blown away!!!

"Twin Peaks" is probably up there with my favorite shows of all time, I loved it, I even loved the episodes after we find out the murderer of Laura Palmer (granted the quality did slip after that)

I remember when the show was on and having a vague recollection of the ad campaign about "Who Killed Laura Palmer?" but not understanding why it was such a big deal, now after watching the show I see why it was. The show was lucky enough to keep the suspense about the murderer going for as long as it did, and according to David Lynch when the network pressured him and co-creator Mark Frost to reveal the killer, "It was like having a goose that layed golden eggs and then suddenly someone came and killed the goose."

Yes the solving of Laura Palmer's murder was the show's downfall, it never really recovered, and the episodes after went from bad to crummy although I think the show gained a bit more momentum in the final episodes which leaves you with a cliffhanger with what would've happened if the show had a third season.

I feel like I'm just playing catch up since this show is nearly 20 years old now but what I wouldn't give to see Kyle MacLachlan's Agent Cooper (one of the greatest characters ever!!!) come back to life on the small screen some how.

What T.V shows which died prematurly would you want to live again?

No comments: