Monday 10 September 2007

TIFF=Anticipation for those not there

Oh to be in Toronto right now. Some day I just really have to make a pilgrimage from my small humble Alberta home and see what all the fuss is about. For about 10 days in September Toronto Canada becomes the Northern Hollywood, where pretty much every single important movie of the oscar season is shown. I've been reading daily the reports of my favorite critic Roger Ebert, and my favorite retired critic turned blogger Jim Emerson as they both talk about the films they have seen. It's making my mouth water just talking about it. The moment I read Emerson's blog about The Coen Brothers' new film "No Country for Old Men" where he says "If you're not exhilerated by this piece of filmmaking, then I don't know what you could possibly like about movies." I don't remember the last time I heard anything like that when describing a recent movie.

It comes down to this: I can't wait, I can't wait, I can't wait, I can't wait. The great thing about reading these two guys is they not only see the movies everyone else sees, but also smaller films that peaks my interest. It's wonderful having these two men who I find differ very much on certain films but with a wonderful enthusiasm be my guides to what may be the most popular film festival on Earth. But anyway, here are some films I'm just dying to see

No Country for Old Men
Eastern Promises
Chop Shop
Into the Wild
Michael Clayton
Juno
Rendition
The Assassination of Jesse James...
Starting out Empty
Fugitive Pieces
I'm Not There

In the mean time I just have to catch up on films I haven't seen yet like "Waitress", "Once", and "Away from Her", but oh to be in Toronto.

No comments: