Friday 28 September 2007

And Now for Something Completely Different....

Living in central Alberta you can't always rely on your local theatre to deliver the goods art house wise so you gotta search to find things worthwhile. So I went to my local video store to scope out any new titles that might interest me and low and behold I was amazed to find the obscure film "Zoo" in. I hadn't heard anything about "Zoo" till I saw Jim Emmerson discuss it at his website, needless to say I was a bit hesitant about viewing a film which discusses bestiality and a tragedy surrounding its deep dark underbelly, but I decided to give it a chance.

"Zoo" will definitely not appeal to everyone I'm sure, there were times that I cringed even though no acts against animals are shown. The film is bizarre to say the least but in a good way, it takes us into a dark world that shook me it was something I was not used to and that's what made it intriguing. After the film I was a bit uneasy, I was definitely effected by it coming into contact with these bizarre characters, it reminded me of the dreamlike worlds of Stanley Kubrick or David Lynch. The film is very much a cinematic success in style and it has the power with its opening shot to draw you in, but the people they depict still remained a mystery to me, I felt nothing for these people who have this strange compulsion nor was I sure how I was supposed to feel about them, my empathy was more towards the animals that now seemed damaged from their experiences.

I do recommend "Zoo" for the visually mysterious atmosphere it evokes and the taboo subject matter it attempts to break, if you're in the mood for something different and bizarre check this out.

No comments: