Friday 14 September 2007

New to My Collection

I've had the opportunity this summer to add to my collection of films quite a bit. Some films I got were just classics that I could see countless times like Capra's classic dark comedy "Arsenic and Old Lace" or Peckinpah's "The Wild Bunch" or Truffaut's "Jules and Jim". Here are some new titles that I've watched for the first time and was for the most part pleased of my purchase.

1. Sansho The Balliff: I went into this film not knowing much about it, Jim Emmerson loves this movie and that was good enough for me. It is directed by Kenji Mizoguchi who is one of those filmmakers I have heard of but have never seen any of his work. It's one of those films you watch and afterwards you just have to say wow. It's one of those films I know I will revisit again and again and probably find something new every time I see it.

2. The Story of Floating Weeds/Floating Weeds: While we're on the subject of great japanese cinema why not talk about the master Yasujiro Ozu. I have made it known before that Ozu may very well be my favorite director of all time even though I've seen only 10 of his 50+ films. I couldn't be happier when I got this which are two Ozu films in one. The original is silent while the remake was made in beautiful color and I think it is one of the best color films I've seen. Even though both films tell the same story I found myself enjoying the remake better, it spends more time with the characters and is beautifully filmed. It's hard to express my feelings for Ozu and his films, just watch this film or "Tokyo Story", or "Late Spring" and begin the journey I started last year.

3. Ace in the Hole: This is Billy Wilder's film about a reporter who creates a media frenzy over a guy who's trapped in a cave struggling to live. Kirk Douglas is the only man alive who could've played this hard boiled reporter who seems to have no conscience. The film is a hard criticism of the media and is probably more timely today than when it was released. Wilder pulls no punches we need more guys like him making movies.

4. The Secret Life of Sherlock Holmes: Another Billy Wilder film I had not seen, this one deals with an untold story of Sherlock Holmes. I found it to be one of Wilder's most interesting films as he attempts to make the famous detective more human. The film is also outrageously funny at times with an ending you wouldn't expect.

5. High Plains Drifter: People really only thought of Clint Eastwood's gifts as a filmmaker after "Unforgiven" was released, but way back in the early 70s he made this western about a mysterious man out for revenge on a town that just stood by as their sheriff was whipped to death. It's dark and mysterious unlike any of the Oscar bait films Eastwood makes today.

6. The Burmese Harp: A very spiritual war movie about a japanese soldier who masqurades as a Buddhist Monk and decides to bury all the dead soldiers who are left on the ground. I've never seen a war movie quite like it, it's about redemption and spiritual awakening, it's quite moving.

7. All Quiet on the Western Front: This famous war movie which won the Oscar for Best Picture tells the story of young German boys who are so enthused about joining the army but become disillusioned with the horrors of war. This no doubt influenced modern war films like "Saving Private Ryan" or "Letters from Iwo Jima" in its depiction of young solidiers in combat.

8. Kiss of Death: Classic film noir about a criminal who becomes a mole for the police in order to protect his children. Richard Widmark plays one of the most memorable villains in history and Victor Mature has one of his best performances in the lead role.

That's all for now folks, any new titles you have in your collection you want to share that has enriched your movie collection?

No comments: