Saturday 29 September 2007

My favorite Capracorn

On a slow Saturday night like tonight for me, I'd like to take time and reflect on my favorite Hollywood director of all time Mr. Frank Capra. I wish Capra was better remembered today, for some reason his films aren't as discussed as highly as those by perhaps John Ford or Howard Hawks but I like him. Capra's films are ones I can watch again and again and never get tired of them. I grew up with Capra films pretty much, before I knew of him I had no idea what a director does. He might be pigeonholed now as a sentimental director hence the nickname Capracorn, maybe that's why his films are often overlooked in today's cynical world. In my opinion for anyone who is just getting into classic movies I would say Capra would be the guy to start with. What makes his films great is that they are all beloved. He was however able to dive into darker territory at times but he would always stay the hopeful optimist, where's today's Capra, we need him desperately. So if you're ever feeling down just watch your copy of "Mr. Smith Goes to Washington" or "It Happened One Night" or "Mr. Deeds Goes to Town", and come Christmas watch "It's a Wonderful Life" again and again no matter how many times you've seen it.

Here are my top ten Capra films that you should all see.

1. It's a Wonderful Life
2. Mr. Smith Goes to Washington
3. Lost Horizon
4. Mr. Deeds Goes to Town
5. You Can't Take it With You
6. Meet John Doe
7. It Happened One Night
8. American Madness
9. Arsenic and Old Lace
10. State of the Union




No comments: