Tuesday 4 September 2007

Jeremy's Favorite Summer Movies

Well the Labour Day weekend is at an end, which means kids will be going back to school soon, leaves will start turning yellow, and movies will suddenly become a bit more serious and "Oscar Worthy". But it's been a fun summer while it lasted. If this summer has taught me anything it's that I think my tastes in movies are changing. There was a time when I probably would've counted "Spiderman 3" as one of the best movies of the summer. I actually forgot "Spiderman 3" existed till I saw the guys from "Knocked Up" talking about it. I've seen a lot of the summer movies and most of the big ones (With the exception of "The Bourne Ultimatum" which will have to wait a little longer.) Some of the films frustrated me, some I thought were brilliant, some were lost in the shuffle, and some I wish never existed. So won't you join me in celebrating the best and the worst of this flock of films?

The Best
These are the best of the bunch I've seen this year and I wouldn't mind owning some of them when they come out. As you'll notice all of them don't really depend on special effects (Unless you consider computer animation a special effect) What surprised me about this best of list is I think I enjoy animated movies more than I thought. But these movies represent why I love going to the movies, good stories, good characters, and a purpose. Here they are in no particular order.

"Knocked Up"
"The Simpsons Movie"
"Ratatoullie"
"Hairspray"
"Superbad"
"Rescue Dawn"

The Worst
This is self-expanitory, I didn't see a lot of movies that I thought were terrible, but this was the bottom of the barrel, as in light a match to all the nagatives and run like hell.

"Shrek the Third"
"I Now Pronounce you Chuck and Larry"

The "I liked them but didn't think they were all that special" movies
These are the throw away films, good for the first time but probably never again.

"Ocean's 13"
"Transformers"
"Live Free or Die Hard"
"Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix"
"Pirates of the Carribean: At World's End"
"Spiderman 3"

The Underrated
I saw a couple of movies that got lost in the shuffle and I hope will find new life on DVD. One is an animated movie that opened too soon after "Shrek the Third" even though it was supremely better, the other opened the same weekend after "Spiderman 3" and was unjustly criticized. If you see these titles floating anywhere around give them a shot I don't think you'd be disapointed.

"Surf's Up"
"Lucky You"

In closing I was hoping to see more of the smaller films of the summer like "Waitress" and "Once" but living here in Red Deer Alberta, one must wait for those to come our way. But till next time see ya soon.

No comments: