Wednesday 3 March 2010

Kieslowski: The Conclusion



I have just finished reading Annette Insdorf's book "The Cinema of Krzysztof Kieslowski" reluctantly. I've been holding off reading the last chapter for nearly a week because I still wanted to live in the world of Kieslowski for just a little bit longer. Insdorf's book was a great companion piece to look at as I viewed Kieslowski's films, it was full of insight and I came off understanding his body of work a lot more.

I suppose that's what this little examination of mine was, I was trying to get a deeper understanding of the films from a director I admire.

I've said it before that Kieslowski's films have had a very profound effect on me, it's not just his films, but his philosophy I find so fascinating and enlightening. I never get tired of probing his work as if I'm trying to find an answer to a bigger meaning.

In the years after his death, Kieslowski's films have become more available to people. I didn't know that it was only until 2000 that "The Decalogue" was first shown in America, what a treat it would've been to see it then with people who were seeing it for the first time.

For me, Kieslowski's films will continue to inspire me and challenge my perceptions, they are a lovely place to visit whenever I'm down or I'm tired of seeing the same thing over. The films remain complex but enjoyable and I only hope to learn more about them as I grow.

No comments: