Sunday 14 March 2010

Movie Review: Precious



"Precious" is a competent film, I believe it's sincere in what it's trying to say, it has brief moments of insight and clever filmmaking, but it failed to leave a lasting impression on me.

I was curious to see "Precious", and I finally got my chance when my local movie theatre finally got it three days after it was released on DVD (Yay Red Deer). The film gained a following after it was a big hit at Sundance earning great reviews for its stars Gabrielle Sidibe and Mo'Niique. It went on to be a big contender during awards season and culminated in it winning Oscars for its screenplay and Mo'Nique's performance.

I read many reviews for "Precious", which is something I try to avoid before seeing the movie, but I knew I wouldn't see it for some time. I like to think however I went in with an open mind with no critics influencing me.

"Precious" is the name of the main character played by Sidibe. Precious lives in Harlem, she is overweight,she's illiterate, she lives with an abusive mother (Mo'Nique) and has been pregnant twice after being raped by her father. When Precious' school finds out she is pregnant again, she is expelled, but her principal gives her the information for an outreach school which can help give her a second chance.

There Precious joins a group of other inner city teens with terrible lives, and with the help of her teacher Ms. Rain (Paula Patton), she starts to read and write and gain confidence in herself.

The unique thing about "Precious" and the reason I think it became such a breakout hit comes from the fantasy sequences. Whenever Precious re-lives or is going through a traumatic experience, she escapes into fantasy where she pictures herself a movie star or supermodel. Some of these moments are effective, the most interesting one is when Precious is looking in a mirror and sees her reflection as a beautiful blonde white girl. I found that sequence worked as it showed what not only what her perception of beauty was but what normal society's perception was as well.

However most of these fantasy sequences I found looked a little out of place and they weren't filmed well. Instead of what they were intended to do which was take Precious out of her horrible real world, it just took me out of the movie all together.

The one sequence I did find where fantasy and reality did come together beautifully was when Precious brings her newborn baby home to her mother for the first time. It was as if the whole movie was building up to this confrontation and director Lee Daniels doesn't disappoint with the heightened drama.

I am coming off like I didn't like "Precious" all that much, save for a few scenes. What I will say for "Precious" is it's a sincere film with sincere performances, and I give it points for that, I don't think it tries for false emotion, the creators had conviction in what they were trying to say, I just think it could've been pulled off better.

"Precious" just didn't have enough of an impact on me, I found most of it to be a film about close-ups. I remember each actor's face, because they all get their share of close-ups, it sometimes felt as if Daniels didn't know how to use space, and made it up by filming the performances, and that is what you are left with. It is no wonder that the performances are the most memorable thing about this film.

For her part, Sidibe never overplays her role, she is perfectly cast, and carries the movie on her shoulder. As the horrible mother, Mo'Nique also does a nice job in not overacting in what I think is a very overwritten role. It felt as if we were being constantly hit over the head at the meanness of this woman which is felt right away in Mo'Nique's first powerful monologue when she yells at Precious at how worthless she is. In the end if the mother gets any sympathy, it's from the power of the performance and not the words.

However I'm a fan of the understated, and for me the heart of this film belongs to Paula Patton as Ms. Rain. It's true that Ms. Rain is the archetypal teacher/mentor we have seen in countless films, but Patton brings a gravity and intelligence to the role, and she shines brightly in it.

The other students in Precious' class are sadly given the backseat, which I guess is fair since this movie isn't about them, however because of it, they fail to be released from their own ethnic stereotypes.

I don't think "Precious" will be remembered in a year, it has its intentions, but it's not high art as it tries to be. It sometimes becomes a victim of its own pretensions, it's self-important when it didn't have to be, but the actors deserve recognition, and I think there is talent in Lee Daniels, I hope the next one is more memorable.

No comments: