Thursday 18 December 2008

Worst Films of 2008

Those of you who are familiar with my blog know I don't reveal my top ten movies of the year until later into 2009, the reason being is over here in Red Deer Alberta I have to wait till the New Year to see all the films that are currently in limited release. Sometimes I have to wait till they appear on DVD. However as a little taste for you people who are just addicted to lists, I decided to reveal my worst films of 2008. Take my advice avoid these films like the plague.

1. Passchendaele: Canada's most expensive film ever made is as shallow as epic war films can get. Writer, director, co-producer, and star Paul Gross must take the bulk of the blame here as he fills his movie with wooden dialogue and a cliche love story that glosses over the more important aspects of the film. This could've been a benchmark in helping Canadian cinema grow, but it instead shows off our insecurities more.

2. Body of Lies: Ridley Scott's often confusing and ultimately boring Middle Eastern espionage thriller. The film tries to go for big ideas and be more important than it actually is. Instead it says as much about middle eastern conflict as a James Bond film, only without the fun. This may be Scott's worst film since "Legend".

3. High School Musical 3: I feel bad picking on this movie since it wasn't really for my audience. But I just feel sorry for the audience it is for. Children deserve better than this, which gives the most generic songs and choreography I've seen in a long time. The whole film is full of no imagination at all. If they want this series of films to continue, may I suggest John Waters to come in and do something with it. Take the kids to see "Wall-E" or if they must have their musical make them watch "Mary Poppins" again and again till they understand what imagination means.

No comments: