Wednesday 31 December 2008

Final Thoughts on Lubitsch

Well I hope you enjoyed my focus on Ernst Lubitsch this month. In many ways I would describe him as being the perfect director. He is definitely one of my favorites, I consider all the movies I've seen by him to be brilliant. Much like Hitchcock, we will never see his like again, no matter how many imitators there are. I suppose the thing that surprises me the most is how often Lubitsch is overlooked these days in favor of more well known directors. It's almost hard to believe that at his peak, everyone wanted to work with Lubitsch, and he was a household name. My Lubitsch education will continue as I still have to see his silent films along with other greats well known movies such as "Cluny Brown", and "Heaven Can Wait". I can only assume that what I expect from those films is perfection.

Happy New Year everyone and stay tuned for more announcements from "Jeremy and the Movies" in 2009!

1 comment:

Oneliner said...

I'm a great fan of Lubitsch as well. Just got the Eclipse box set (zipped through them-- fun movies to watch at the holidays) and the Kino set. "Shop Around the Corner" is my favorite Lubitsch as well. Too bad it isn't better known (too bad Lubitsch isn't for that matter). I think his greatest film is either "Ninotchka" or "Trouble in Paradise."
Looking forward to your '09 entries (and top ten '08).