Saturday 19 January 2008

Saw a Play and other news

Hello Everybody, it is I Jeremy. Haven't really been updating my blog all that much, at least not as much as I'm accustomed to. I'm still planning my top ten list of 2007 which will be revealed ASAP. Unfortunately weather has postponed my seeing movies. It's snowing rather hard here which prevents me from driving to the closest big city to see "There Will Be Blood", "I'm Not There" etc... However "The Kite Runner" is showing locally so hopefully you will see what I thought about that. Also "Cloverfield" will probably be the first official 2008 film that I will see as well, so there are a lot of things to look forward too.

Also I will have a couple of more posts coming for my director of the month Buster Keaton so watch out for that.

ALSO... I just wanted to share with you guys a really great play I just saw a couple of days ago. It's entitled "Red Light Winter" and is playing in Red Deer Alberta. I was blown away by it, and I don't normally write about plays on my movie blog, but this was very well done. It's done by Ignition Theatre which is Red Deer's first professional Theatre Company, and involves the story of two friends who are visiting Amsterdam and meet up with a girl working in the red light district. Without giving much away, I'll just say it's a story of an unrequited love, friendship, and betrayal. The acting and directing is superb and the play itself is subtle and heartbreaking with a knockout of an ending, I loved it and am probably going to see it again. And no I am not just ranting about this play because I happen to be in Ignition Theatre's next production, but very rarely has a theatre experience made me feel the way I do when I walk out of a movie.

I don't mean anything against theatre when I say that, but I've always felt differently about them than I do about film, this play just seemed to work on a sort of film mentality where sometimes during the show the actions spoke louder than words. The beginning starts with one man on stage saying nothing for what seems like an eternity, I was so interested with what he was doing that it didn't matter. The ending makes sort of a nice bookend to the same idea as we understand what happens to the three main characters with little or no dialogue at all.

Anyway I'm probably going to see this play again to get a full grasp to it all. So if any of you are in Red Deer in the next week, let me just again to go see this play. See ya soon.

No comments: