Saturday 12 January 2008

Jeremy's Special Jury Prize: Inland Empire


David Lynch's "Inland Empire" is getting my special Jury Prize because unlike any other film I saw in 2007, this doesn't seem to follow any set formula, it's experimental, challenging, yet full of disturbing but sometimes beautiful imagery. This is also a film that fits perfectly with the DVD generation.
"Inland Empire" actually came out independently by Lynch at the tale end of 2006, but it was with DVD that it found its true home. Because Lynch produced it outside of the studio system, he was able to make his own 2-disc DVD Special Edition of the film which enriches the whole experience. I haven't been able to watch all the special features yet, but what I have seen are a must for film fans in general. Probably one of the most interesting things I've seen on the features is called "Lynch 2" where we see in three 10 minute intervals David Lynch the director at work going through all aspects of the film. Whether it's berating his assistant Jeremy about being in the shot, or whispering something into Laura Dern's ear (obviously something about the film he doesn't want the audience to know.) or painting his own interior sets, it is a fascinating and funny mini-movie about this unique genius.
Now let's get to the actual movie. I can't say I enjoyed all of "Inland Empire" it may be Lynch's ultimate head scratcher, but I can't deny how it drew me in. Laura Dern plays an actress who is getting a part in the movie of a lifetime. We find out this film has had somewhat of a sordid history, and not all is what it seems to be. It seems to me (although I've only seen the film once) is that Laura Dern maybe playing more than one character, or her actress character is playing the part in the movie within a movie, I'm not sure. It's a mystery that I don't know has a resolution. The tag line on the DVD box simply says "A Woman in Trouble", which seems to be the only clue Lynch is willing to give us. It is filmed entirely using digital technology which gives it a more grainy and abstract look at the world which keeps the viewing less at ease while watching it.
I can't say watching "Inland Empire" was a fully pleasant experience, there were times I wanted to turn the film off and scratch my head a few time, but like some great art, it is something that begs to be discussed and debated. David Lynch was never the kind of director who had any easy answers, and sometimes he seems like a director who has no answers. I think he's more interested in the experience, and whether it's a pleasant one or not, it's a strong reaction that cannot be denied.
I intend to revisit "Inland Empire" again, and I would encourage others to watch it and judge for yourself. I think what you will find is a unique film that doesn't fit anywhere else with the ones that were released this year. It's its own entity which is why I'm fitting it in this special category.

No comments: