Thursday 18 October 2007

Deborah Kerr Dies

Being out of the loop for most of today I was shocked to learn that one of our great leading ladies from the golden age of Hollywood past away today. Deborah Kerr was known best for such films as "From Here to Eternity" (Probably the most famous screen kiss in history with Burt Lancaster) "The King and I", and "An Affair to Remember". I actually caught the tail end of "An Affair to Remember" a couple of weeks ago on TV and had to gain my composure.

My favorite Kerr performance is probably not considered one of her most glamorous performances, it's as Sister Clodagh in one of the best films ever "Black Narcissus". It's what happens when a group of nuns led by Kerr's character try to establish a religious community in the mysterious regions of the Himalayan mountains. The film works as part thriller, part drama, and part horror with wonderful color photography. I recommend everyone to see "Black Narcissus" and if you haven't already watch any number of Deborah Kerr's classic films.

No comments: