Tuesday 15 February 2011

Special Jury Prize of 2010: Plastic Bag

It's been nearly a month since I last blogged, due to some technical difficulties, but I'm back. Stay tuned for my best of list of 2010 in days to come, as we make our way to the Oscars. For now, I am revealing my Special Jury Prize for 2010. This is a film that is unique among other films of this year, a film that can't quite fit with the others.

This year I pick Ramin Barhani's short film "Plastic Bag". This is an 18 minute short film which debuted early last year. I first viewed the film on Youtube, it tells the story of the life of a plastic bag as narrated by Werner Herzog. It follows its journey from breathing new life in a super market, from coping with its own immortality as it gets caught in a huge vortez in the ocean.

The film is rather beautiful to look at, it sort of adds to that floating bag idea from "American Beauty" without making it pretentious. The image of the bag finding its soul mate and the two of them floating around in the sky is rather sublime. The film also speaks an an environmental precaution tale yet we don't really know that until the end. I watched the film three times throughout the year, and although it's only 18 minutes its one of the best films of the year, perhaps it is the best one I've seen. Much like last year's film "Sita Sings the Blues", "Plastic Bag" was able to be seen for free from the internet, which speaks for the future of film, although I would say this is a film I would love to see on the big screen. From what I know "Plastic Bag" is still being shown on youtube, for those of you who think you have seen every important movie this year, check this one out.

No comments: