Monday 17 January 2011

Movie Review: True Grit



Sometimes a film comes around that does exactly what you want it to do, "True Grit" is one of these films. I've seen the film twice now, and I love it the more I think about it. The film is a remake of an old John Wayne western, a film I saw when I was a child, I remember it didn't have much of an impact on me, I enjoyed John Wayne and I still do, but even then I knew this wasn't his best film.

This new film is directed by The Coen Brothers, the greatest filmmakers working today, they are at the peak of their powers. Although this can't be described as a true Coen Brothers film, it's taken from Charles Portis' much loved novel and like they did with Cormac McCarthy, they embraced the language and the characters and made them come alive.

The story is a simple one, a young girl Mattie Ross (14 year old Hailee Steinfeld) wants to find Tom Chaney (Josh Brolin) the man who murdered her father in cold blood. She gets the help from Marshall Rooster Cogburn (Jeff Bridges) the meanest Marshall in the county and one she hears has true grit. Rooster wants to go alone, but Mattie insists on coming, much to his dismay. They are accompanied on their journey by La Beuf (Matt Damon)a Texas Ranger who has been hunting Chaney for another crime he's committed.

Speaking merely as a spectator of "True Grit", I was touched by the film, that may sound strange seeing that the film is basically an action western, but the mood of the film, the playfulness of the characters, and ultimately the heroic choices made by all of them made this probably the most enjoyable experience I had at the movies.

I suspect the true grit intended in the title doesn't just mean Rooster's character, but also Mattie and La Beuf, each one has their own faults, but when the cards are on the table, they come out to shine, the Coens celebrate these characters, they have a strong affection to them.

Much of the magic of the film also comes from the production team behind the film, which include cinematographer Roger Deakins who is sure to get an Oscar nomination for his work and damned if he doesn't win. The nighttime ride between Rooster and Mattie that climaxes the film is one of the most beautiful moments in modern film, it's also a wonderful homage to "Night of the Hunter".

The film also couldn't be the same without the wonderful music of Carter Burwell, his music is probably the most gorgeous he's made with The Coens and the most expressive of the time and place since "Miller's Crossing".

I think it was something pure in "True Grit" that struck a chord with me, it reminded me why I go to the movies in the first place, why my feelings for them haven't changed since I was a kid. Movies have the power to move you more than any other artform, I was enchanted by the world of "True Grit", I loved being with the characters and seeing their stoic heroism in the face of adversity, the uncommon decency when it was needed the most. Few films do that anymore, basically I just wanted to see it again so I could feel that way I did. In my mind, "True Grit" is an instant classic and should be on repeated viewing for people who have forgotten about the power of the movies.

No comments: