Friday 4 June 2010

Going to the Movies: A Long Dry Spell

I haven't gone to the movies in a long time, at least a month or a month and a half. I'm pretty sure the last movie I saw in the theatre was "Date Night" with Steve Carell and Tina Fey. I used to go to the movies at least once a week, maybe twice, maybe two movies in one day, but now I don't feel the need to.

What is out there for me? Am I going to see "Iron Man 2" or "Robin Hood", or "Shrek Forever After"? See these movies don't appeal to me, I'm not saying I don't see mainstream blockbusters, but these movies just look so boring, like you already know what's going to happen.

I think I'm not the only one, this summer is already shaping up to be a major disappointment, with the Memorial Day Weekend being the smallest it has been in 17 years. You see studios no longer know what makes an audience go to the movies, it used to be about excitement, that's what it was to me. I feel no excitement about any of the movies coming out, or any of the ones I've seen. It's going to take more than 3-D to get me into the seats and shovel out 13-15 bucks plus extra on popcorn.

Lately I've just been going back to my personal library to watch films, luckily I have a wide variety. If I have the choice between seeing "Robin Hood" on the big screen, or "La Dolce Vita" on a relatively smaller one, I would choose the latter everytime, at least then I know I'm getting the bigger bang for my buck.

I like to be surprised when I go to the movies, I like to be moved, and touched, I like the movie to invite me in rather than feeling forced to view it. It's been too long for Hollywood to get the picture, they really have to wake up.

No comments: