Tuesday 23 February 2010

More Thoughts on The Three Colors Trilogy



Some time has passed since I watched Kieslowski's "Three Colors trilogy" for my blog. It's strange however, I feel like I've lived with these films for the past week, I've been able to watch other films in my spare time, but my mind always wonders back to these three.

I still have images of Julie scraping her fist across a stone wall to feel something in "Blue", or Karol and Mikolaj sliding down an ice river in "White" or Valentine walking down a runway while Preisner's melody is playing in "Red". Each film is a mystery, and each is romantic in some way.

The second time I saw "The Three Colors Trilogy", I remember going for a walk as soon as "Red" ended. It was a late summer night, it was dark save for the street lamps illuminating the only light. There wasn't a car on the road, I took a small walk around my street and came back. I don't remember what I thought about, but I remember wanting to feel a certain type of sensation. Maybe I just wanted to breath in the night air, and digest what I had just seen.

When I came home I remember sitting there quietly, I was alone but didn't feel lonely. I didn't say a word, I sat there thinking for what may have been a short or long time, I don't remember.

Afterwards, I was awakened by the realities of life again, I was on that similar plain we often find ourselves everyday. Soon life began again and I was out of my stupor, but I still remembered the feeling of seeing those films, experiencing something special even if it was just for me. "The Three Colors Trilogy" revitalized a love of movies by showing they can once again surprise us no matter how many we have seen. They also revitalized a feeling of contemplation, connection, and understanding. Whether this was Kieslowski's intent I don't know, I still try to grapple with his absolute truth as he probably was as well.

Make no mistake, these films are special to me, I think of them fondly from time to time, it may sound silly to think of a film that way, but not to me. Film is art, and it's a special treat to see great art present itself to you. We are never alone.

No comments: