Tuesday 27 October 2009

Psycho: A Transition of Terror



I wanted to watch a really good horror film today, something good but something a bit obscure, maybe something I haven't seen before. I perused my extensive film library for a really good obscure horror film, but when the cards were down, what I really wanted was "Psycho".

I don't know what to say about "Psycho" that hasn't already been said. I'm not sure how many times I've seen "Psycho", other than it's been a lot. I'm not as shocked at it as I once was, but it still keeps me in absolute awe. Today as I was watching "Psycho", I was pretty much watching it casually like I do with most films I've seen a hundred times. It's a comfort in some ways to know what's coming, even though it takes away from the shock. I perked up the moment Anthony Perkins appeared on screen, his performance, one the greatest in screen history, is one of the things that still does surprise me. Each time I see him as Norman Bates I see something new that he does. I wonder how much freedom Hitchcock gave to Perkins with his performance. Hitchcock has never been given much credit for being an actor's director, yet he's responsible for some of the best performances ever put on film.

The scene that I could watch over and over again isn't one that is talked about often. It's the discussion Norman Bates has with Marion Crane over dinner. They are alone in Norman's parlour with all of his taxidermy trophies surrounding them. The chit chat becomes delightful, but there is an air of mystery and suspense with the character of Norman. When he sees Marion eat, he states, "you eat like a bird", kind of a strange thing to say to someone you just met. But Norman is very disarming and likable, he's very easy to gain sympathy with in this scene. But things suddenly turn dark, when Norman's mother is brought into the conversation. Norman soon becomes defensive when Marion suggests he should put her into a home, or "some place" as she puts it. We know right there if we hadn't picked up on it before that something is indeed wrong with Norman, but again not sure what.

Most people would point out the famous shower scene is the film's turning point, where Marion is killed and the role of lead character is shifted to Norman. I would say that it is the dinner scene, where Hitchcock is beginning his new story with Norman as the main character. By the end of it, it seems Norman has done Marion a favour in convincing her unknowingly to return to her home and give back the money she has stolen. It is the first part of the film's resolution, Marion's story is wrapped up, and you could say is symbolically wrapped up with her murder.

It's pretty much a seamless transition from Marion's story to Norman's, which is part of why this is one of the perfect films.

I'll never get tired of "Psycho", even though I don't think it could ever frighten me the way it did the first time I saw it. I'm left with a film that I admire greatly, and could watch again and again because I know I'm watching something from a master of the medium, and I'm watching one of the greatest performances ever on film. I'm sure when I watch the film again, I will zero in on another moment or scene in the film, but for now, that will be all.

No comments: