Saturday 4 July 2009

Some Movies I've seen Recently



Summer movie season used to be my favorite movie season of the year, but as I mature I'm finding it harder and harder for films that are made for my sensibility. I've stayed away from most let's say forgettable blockbusters, however I did see a few that stuck out in my mind.

Up: Pixar's strongest feature yet featuring the adventures of a retired widower who flies his house with balloons to the island of Paradise Falls. A film that is full of bizarre giant birds and talking dogs with mechanical voices may not sound like really poignant stuff, but the film takes unexpected emotional turns while keeping with a clever sense of humour. By far the best film I've seen this year. 4 stars out of 4

The Hangover: A film that is very much about its journey rather than its destination. "The Hangover" takes a premise that has been done before about three guys who wake up the next morning and not remembering a single thing that happened the night before. They find many strange things, and the one thing they do notice is that one of their friends are missing. This is probably the funniest film I've seen this year along with "I Love You Man" and probably full of as many surprises as you would see in a great thriller. 4 stars out of 4

Drag Me to Hell: Sam Raimi's exercise in horror is my idea of a fun time at the movies. Poor Alison Lohman plays a bank clerk who denies an evil gypsy an extra loan on her house, and she is then cursed to be "dragged to hell". Raimi has such a smart subversive sense of humour, it was just fun watching a horror movie, that was all about the scare factor. The premise is thin, but Raimi makes it all worthwhile. 3.5 stars out of 4

No comments: