Tuesday 21 July 2009

Movies: Talk about the Passion

Few things get me more excited than seeing a movie, I'm aflutter with anticipation at the thought of watching one. It usually doesn't matter what time it is, or where I am, if someone asks me to watch a movie, I usually say yes.

Movies are the most popular artform out there today, a lot of people want to make movies, and now more than ever they have the equipment available for them to do it. Movies are being done today no only on 35mm but on 16mm or 8mm or on their ipods, or their cellphones. I'm not technologically advanced as some people, but if someone wanted to make a movie now, not much would be stopping them.

I've said before that most movies today don't interest me, that's not entirely true, I only wish the movies that do interest me are more available on the big screen, instead most people have to suffer through "Transformers" or some other ungodly film and then complain that it wasn't good.

The business of making films is perhaps what's wrong, how many times have you heard of filmmakers like Robert Altman or Francis Ford Coppola, or Steven Soderberg trying to get their personal projects off the ground? Well that's Hollywood. But really if there is something I've learned it's sometimes you can take that alternative route.

More and more now, filmmakers are finding new venues for their films, be it festivals, or youtube, or any other wonder I'm not aware of. There was a revolution that happened and just because we don't see it in our multiplex, doesn't mean it didn't have an impact.

Movies are all around us, I encourage you people to watch as many as possible and be inspired as I have throughout my life by them.

"The film of tomorrow seems to me therefore more personal even than a novel, individual and autobiographical, like a confession or like a personal diary. Young filmmakers will express themselves in the first person and will tell us what happened to them: it might be the story of their first love or of their most recent one, their finding a political consciousness, a travel journal, an illness, their military service, their marriage, their most recent vacation, and it will necessarily be likable because it will be true and new." Francois Truffaut



"Jules and Jim" one of the movies of my life.



"Lies" from the modern musical "Once" a little film that could.



The opening of "Contempt" by Jean-Luc Godard

No comments: