Saturday 21 February 2009

Oscar Predictions

Tonight I'll be seeing "Milk" after which I will have seen all the films that are nominated for Best Picture. Since I don't want to pass judgement as to who I want to win till then, I will simply just go for who I think will win this Oscar season.

Best Picture: Slumdog Millionaire- It's hard not to bet against this surething come Oscar season. I felt the film had its charm and I always love a good Dickensian story, however I felt it was too frantic at times and wanted it desperately to slow down. That being said, it captured the hearts of film goers this year which should bring it on top.


Best Director: Danny Boyle- Seeing how all the Best Picture nominees share Best Director, it goes without saying the Best Picture winner will go side by side with Best Director. Boyle has been somewhat of a mainstream/arthouse filmmaker for many years now, and it seems the Academy has finally taken notice.


Best Actor: Mickey Rourke- I'm going out on a limb here by choosing Rourke. Sean Penn has been the odds on favorite ever since his SAG win, but I still feel somewhere in my gut it's Rourke's turn. Rourke has his Golden Globe win in his favour, plus he's had a very big comeback campaign with "The Wrestler".


Best Actress: Kate Winslet-It finally seems like her turn, after so many nominations. Winslet's turn as a former SS guard who is put on trial for war crimes is a great performance. She's picked up enough awards already for her performance she seems like a shoe-in. Meryl Streep might stroll in for an upset, but I bet the pony on Kate.


Best Supporting Actress: Penelope Cruz-Cruz was the scene-stealer in Woody Allen's intelligent comedy/drama as the ex-wife of Javier Bardem. She lifts the film out of the ordinary whenever she's on screen. Viola Davies was the favorite to win, but it seems perhaps Amy Adams might split the "Doubt" vote.


Best Supporting Actor: Heath Ledger-Won't be much of a surprise here. Along with "Slumdog Millionaire", Ledger seems to be the other shoe-in, and he deserves it with his dark and menacing re imagining of The Joker.

No comments: