Wednesday 8 October 2008

Some movies I've seen recently

I've been rather busy lately so I've been unable to write individual reviews of the past films I've seen. Needless to say I've enjoyed all of them even though I wouldn't say any of them are masterpieces, but they do get that after taste of summer out of my mouth. Here are a few films I've seen recently in the theatre.

Ghost Town: Ricky Gervais might just be my current favorite person in the world right now, his british version of "The Office" and his follow-up series "Extras" are my idea of modern classic television, and here Gervais hits all the write notes as a sour dentist who despises conversation with people until a botched surgery causes him to die for seven minutes and when he wakes he can see dead people who want nothing but to talk to him. There really isn't nothing new here in plot as Gervais falls in love with the former wife of newly deceased Greg Kinnear. The charm in this movie is Gervais' performance who's transformation is quite heartening. The film was written and directed by David Koepp who's best know for writing action/adventure. He must've tailor made this film for Gervais. It's a star making performance, too bad not enough people saw it.
3.5 stars out of 4

Swing Vote: Another sweet comedy that past people by. This one was released in the summer back when "The Dark Knight" was still going strong, I was going to see it back then, but I guess I was too slow, it stayed in my local theatre for one week, so I saw this at the cheap theatre where films like these sometimes get a second chance. The film goes for a Capraesque quality on politics, but misses the mark on too many occasions. Kevin Costner has taken the Gary Cooper mantle many times in the past and his natural charm pays off big time in this film. I also thought the girl playing Costner's daughter was well done, in fact the scenes with them were the best ones in the film. This film also benefits from a strong supporting cast including Dennis Hopper, Kelsey Grammer, Nathan Lane, and one of my favorite Stanley Tucci. In fact I wish Tucci's manipulating campaign manager got more screen time. I'm gonna give this film a pass because of the performances and the fact that I'm a sucker for films that strive to keep Frank Capra's memory alive, even if they didn't succeed all the way.
3 stars out of 4

Appaloosa:Ed Harris and Viggo Mortenson bring the west alive in this long-winded, character driven tale of a couple of guns for hire who come into the town of Appaloosa to battle a murderous rancher (Jeremy Irons). The film is a slow boil, and might not attract those who come to westerns to see fancy gun fights, in fact most of the gun fights in the film don't last very long. Harris (Who directed) is more interested in these men as people, and I really enjoyed hanging around with them for a long period of time. Although most people are saying Renee Zellweger was miscast as the not-so typical damsel in distress, I think I understand why Harris cast her, especially after we find out she isn't all she's cracked up to be. But the film belongs to Harris and Mortenson who's relationship reminded me very much of Dean Martin and John Wayne in "Rio Bravo" which was another western that dealt more in the characters than the action. However the film does go on for one act too many and Harris' visual eye sometimes lacks the scope he was going for (Of course I might be biased since I just finished a month of viewing John Ford films). However "Appaloosa" was a film that stayed with me and in its own way is a unique entry in a genre that seems to be having another resurrection.
3.5 stars out of 4

No comments: