Monday 1 September 2008

September's Director's Spotlight: John Ford

This month I will be exploring the films of the man many people consider to be the greatest American filmmaker of all time. He's definitely tops in my book, John Ford directed some of the greatest American stories in history, he taught history through films with themes dealing with the first pioneers who settled the country to modern politics about the struggle through change. His themes somewhat culminated in his masterpiece "The Searchers" which is a film I intend to dive into. He was known as mostly a director of the western, but he branched out to family drama, passionate romance, and even a few comedies. He's one of the best directors to illustrate human drama and I hope you join me for this month in celebrating his films. Stay tuned.

1 comment:

Oneliner said...

I like many of Ford's films. The only one I've seen that I thought was a real stinkaroo is 1931's ARROWSMITH. THE GRAPES OF WRATH never needs to be filmed again: Ford (and Zanuck) absolutely nailed it. Look forward to your month's entries (and now there are so many available on DVD-- it will be hard to limit yourself).