Saturday 27 September 2008

RIP Mr. Newman

What a terrible way to wake up Saturday morning finding out an acting icon passed away. Paul Newman was one of my favorite actors, I never saw him give a bad performance, but I often saw him give a tremendous performance. I cannot think of my favorite Newman performance there's just too many. He came at the end of the great 50's method movement that included Marlon Brando, James Dean, and Montgomery Clift, his movie star looks sometimes overshadowed the fact that he was a talented actor, he was nominated for 10 Academy Awards winning one for "The Color of Money". He worked with directors such as Hitchcock, Scorsese, Lumet, Altman, and The Coen Brothers. He's famous for his on-screen partnership with Robert Redford with their two hits "Butch Cassidy and The Sundance Kid" and "The Sting" both of which are huge entertainments. I feel like having a Newman marathon, there are so many films to choose from, I'll list a few of my favorites.

Cool Hand Luke
The Hustler
The Verdict
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
The Sting
Somebody Up There Likes Me
Cat on a Hot Tin Roof
Slap Shot
Nobody's Fool
Hud
Absence of Malice

Rest In Peace Mr. Newman, you were irreplaceable.

1 comment:

Oneliner said...

Your list of films is exactly what mine would be (I might add ROAD TO PERDITION, which was decent). And I haven't seen ABSENCE OF MALICE (a big hole in my Newman filmography). THE VERDICT is such a good movie. GANDHI robbed E.T. of Best Picture and Paul Newman of Best Actor in one fell swoop that year!

The only other acclaimed film of his that I haven't seen is HOMBRE-- must catch that one some time. Have you seen it?