Monday 23 June 2008

Too busy for actual reviews so here's some summaries

I apologize again for not getting my reviews out sooner for movies I've seen but here's a rundown.

Fugitive Pieces: I first heard of this Canadian film from Roger Ebert last year during the Toronto Film Festival, and when I first heard it was going to be played here, I rushed to the theatre. The story of a young Jewish boy who witnesses his family taken from him during the holocaust and who is raised by a Greek is a wonderful story. It plays like one man's memoirs much like "The Kite Runner", a film which holds many similarities. The story unfolds like a good book, and it becomes a story of redemption and letting go. This is one of the better films I've seen this year. 3.5 stars out of 4

The Incredible Hulk: Surprised at the mostly positive reviews for this do-over comic book film, I decided to give it a shot. This is a perfectly enjoyable, perfectly suitable escapist film. It's loud in places and the frenzy action shots at the beginning are a complete copy of a Jason Bourne film. However Edward Norton gives life to a lifeless role miraculously and supporting players like Liv Tyler, William Hurt, and Tim Roth boost this into something more than what it deserves to be. I enjoyed the Ang Lee version although that also was not without its faults. This film takes away the psychology and character development, and adds more fan-friendly fare. It's not a bad film but it's not incredible either. 3 stars out of 4

Kung Fu Panda: A film that is hard not to like. The story is perfect for the kids, and the action sequences although intense never makes you forget you are watching a cartoon. I thoroughly enjoyed this film, it doesn't try to be hip like the "Shrek" movies and just tries to entertain. I thought the voice work was impressively done by all. The kung fu fan in me wishes they had given Jackie Chan more things to say, and this kind of story has been recycled before, but the animation was top notch and the message was a positive one. 3 stars out of 4
'
On a side note, I also went to see "Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull" for a second time and even enjoyed it more. Like the other films of the series, this one just seems like a throwback to the old fashioned adventure films that aren't made anymore. I was more intrigued in the story, and the set pieces. I even laughed more at the sight gags which have always been my favorite things about the Indy series. The film is still not without its faults, but I have no problem counting a great crowd pleaser along with the other Indy films.

No comments: