Saturday 3 May 2008

Summer is Here Again

Ahhh the summer season is here again. The great thing about thinking of summer in movie terms is it seems to last longer. It seems like only yesterday that the arthouse season ended with "No Country for Old Men" taking the Oscar back in March. Now it's time for the brand names to show us the money.

I got nothing against the summer season, I used to anticipate it as much as the last day of school, but now I'm a bit disillusioned by the fast food type servings of movies that spew out during these four months. Now a days the Iron Mans, Dark Knights, and the SpeedRacers don't interest me as much as they would have when I was younger. I do have a strong hold out for Indiana Jones though who still gives me goosebumps every time I hear his immortal theme music.

And like some summer seasons, there is that one surprise blockbuster that rises above the rest and actually becomes memorable. Three films from last summer actually made my top ten list of 2007 (The Bourne Ultimatum, Knocked Up, and The Simpsons Movie), but I've come to learn that with every winner there are usually more duds. Remember "I Now Pronounce you Chuck and Larry" or the bloated horrendous "Shrek the Third"? They were probably the two worst films I saw last year and they both were in the summer.

So with the summer season, I suggest to be smart in your choices, and just because a film is advertised as "THE MOVIE TO SEE THIS WEEKEND!" doesn't mean it's actually worth seeing.

No comments: