Friday 23 May 2008

Cannes the Mannes (Lazy play on words I know)

The 61st annual Cannes Film Festival is upon us and like the eager movie lover that I am I just love hearing about the sort of films that are coming out of there. Although Cannes is considered the biggest film festival in the world, lately I've been feeling that it is slowly being eclipsed by "Toronto" in many ways. But "Cannes" always has that exotic feel to it that other festivals just don't.

I haven't heard much about many of the films in contention, but the ones I have heard about such as Clint Eastwood's "The Changeling" starring Angelina Jolie and Steven Sodebergh's 4 hour plus "Che" about the famed Cuban revolutionary has my mouth watering on what to expect come the fall season.

Of course the unique thing about Cannes is how it splits the movies into two groups, the films that are in competition and the ones that are more of a commercial nature. Of course the big commercial film to open the festival this year was "Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull". It had the most press in the first couple of days of the festival simply because it was so anticipated and the movie critics had to rush to finish their reviews as soon as possible. Now that Indy has opened, it now seems the focus is shifting on who will win the Golden Palm D'Or.

I've only had the chance to watch the awards ceremony once, it was aired on a french channel and had no subtitles, needless to say I was a bit baffled as to what awards were being handed out, but it was interesting to say the least. I think Sigourney Weaver was one of the jurors.

I'm excited to keep up with the news at Cannes and the films being premiered there, we still have new ones from Atom Egoyan, Wim Wenders, Charlie Kaufman, Woody Allen and Palm D'Or Golden boys the Dardenne's

No comments: