Sunday 23 December 2007

Jeremy's Top Three Worst films of 2007

Tis the Season for Lists. That's right I think the thing movie lovers love more than movies themselves are lists of movies. And of course this is the time of year all critics dish out their best and worst films of the year. Since I still haven't seen a lot of the great movies that have come out in limited release like "I'm Not There", or "There Will Be Blood" or "Atonement" yadayadayada, you have to wait awhile to see my top ten best of list. However I will state right now that if you haven't seen "Once" yet or "No Country for Old Men" go see them this second. But for now you people just have to settle for my worst of list of 2007. I'm glad I don't go out of my way to see bad movies, but every now and then when I go I get bitterly disappointed. Here were three reasons why staying home would've been the better option.

1. Feast of Love: I am putting this at the top of my list because unlike the other movies that will follow, this film had real potential to be a good movie. All the right elements were there, a good cast, a good writer/director, good source material, but it all fell flat and became a big let down. Each person involved with this movie deserves better, and so do we.

2. I Know Pronounce you Chuck and Larry: Adam Sandler continues his winning/losing streak. Losing in the sense that he hasn't made a good movie since "Punch Drunk Love", winning in the sense that people pay huge amounts of cash to see him do his thing in theatres. I'm sorry to say I was one of those people, but I went in protest.

3. Shrek the Third: In a year that gave us "The Simpsons Movie" which was a clever cinematic adaption of an animated sitcom, "Shrek the Third" does the opposite and gives us a sitcom disguised as a clever animated movie. All the fairy tale pop culture references ran their course in the first two films, and there isn't much energy left in this tired tale of the once jolly green ogre, a big disappointment.

Dishonorable mention should go to "The Kingdom" which even though had some merits didn't really do anything new or spectacular in what was more or less a police procedural with too much shaky camera work disguised as a political thriller exploiting rather than educating.

No comments: