Saturday 22 December 2007

Jeremy's Top Christmas movies and Specials

Tis the season! Sorry I've been away for awhile, I've been neglecting my beloved blog and you beloved blog readers, but like many of you, I've been getting ready for the Christmas season, which means shopping, hanging up trees, what not, and despite my best efforts I do have to work for a living. I've also been neglecting my month of Frank Capra which I will no doubt make up in the days to come. But now I just wanted to reflect upon this time of season and make a list!!! That's right lists are fun and in the spirit of the holidays I am counting down my favorite Christmas movies and specials. Some films don't take place in Christmas but I don't think it matters as long as it's a feel good movie that shows the best of what Christmas is about. Ready? Let's go.

Films


It's a Wonderful Life: Directed by Frank Capra and starring Jimmy Stewart, this is hands down my favorite movie of all time. That's right in case you were wondering what my favorite movie was this is it. I'll be writing about this film more in the days leading up to Christmas as part of my month of Capra. The film has been described as the ultimate feel good movie, but like Capra does so often before the feel goodness, there has to come a lot of darkness, and that's what many people tend to forget about this film since it is so beloved. The first 2 thirds have many happy moments but it's mostly showing a man's struggle through life as he has to come to terms with broken dreams, and responsibilities he never wanted. It takes an angel to show him how good his life really is by showing him what a wreck the world would be if he wasn't in it. Makes you think don't it?



A Christmas Carol (Alistair Sim version) I love everything by Charles Dickens and his books have inspired a lot of great films, but with this version of his most loved story, I really feel they got the spirit of Dickens' world right. Alistair Sim is and will always the be the greatest Scrooge, I think it's one of the great performances, he can be mean, funny, touching, and warm. Like "It's a Wonderful Life", this story is full of great joy but also much darkness, it's a ghost story above all, and can even get a little scary. The scene where we see Jacob Marley in chains walking among the other lost souls was always a bit unsettling for me as a kid.



The Terminal: This doesn't take place at Christmas time, but there's snow in it, and it's about helping others and good will toward men. For some reason many critics didn't like this film when it was first released, but I think it's one of Steven Spielberg's sweetest films, and one of Tom Hanks' best performances. The story is of a man who must stay in an airport terminal after his country is suddenly under a coup. He makes friends with the workers at the terminal and strikes up a romance with stewardess Catherine Zeta-Jones. Spielberg found a way of bringing a completely un cynical Capraesque fairy tale in a post 9/11 world, and I think that's nice. See this one if you haven't yet.


Meet John Doe: Capra's fable about a homeless man used as a media tool for political gain is as relevant today as it was then. Gary Cooper stars as a former baseball player used to pose as a desperate man who threatens to kill himself on Christmas eve for all the ill wills of society. He soon becomes a hero for millions, and it's not too soon until he starts believing in the cause, but powerful men are brought in to crush it. Barbara Stanwyck is a stand out as usual, but it's Capra's sincere plight of the everyman and love thy neighbour sensibility that makes this a worthy Christmas film.


The Shop Around the Corner: One of the most delightful romantic comedies ever made about two people who work at the same store but can't stand each other, only to discover that they are secret pen pals. Jimmy Stewart and Margaret Sullivan made four films together, but this seems to be the one most people remember. This takes place at Christmas so that's why I'm counting it as one. This was remade with Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan as "You've Got Mail", but I'll take this Ernst Lubitcsh film over that Starbucks commercial any day.


Mr. Deeds Goes to Town: That's right another Capra film. This one doesn't take place at Christmas, but the whole idea of a man who inherits 20 million dollars only to give it away to people who really need it is really an inspirational message everyone should be reminded of at the holidays. This is one of my personal favorite films, with Gary Cooper once again as the lead and Jean Arthur as his love interest, it's just one of those films that aren't made anymore. By the way skip the appalling Adam Sandler remake at all costs.


Once: This is newly added to my list. No again this is not a Christmas movie, but if there is one movie I would want to share with my family and friends during the holidays it would be this one. I again will declare that I think "Once" is and will later be declared as one of the greatest love stories ever made, it'll put a song in your heart and make make your heart jump. And lets not forget the wonderful gift given from the guy to the girl at the end of the film. Damn right this is a Christmas movie.


Holiday Inn: The Bing Crosby Fred Astaire musical about two guys who pretty much are competing for the same girl. So the plot is pretty much non-existent, but it's a great place to see Bing crooning "White Christmas" for the first time on screen, and Fred doing a great dance number on the fourth of July. You can just skip the embarrassingly racist scene with Bing singing in black face.


Christmas Specials


The Simpsons: Marge Be Not Proud: This is not the famous first ever Simpsons episode where Homer dresses up as Santa and takes Bart to a dog track, this was in the seventh season and is one of my favorite Christmas episodes of any show ever. This is where Bart is caught shop lifting which makes Marge see him in a different light. I'm not afraid to say this is one of my favorite Simpson episodes, it's great to see a Bart/Marge episode, and shows that even though "The Simpsons" are known for their biting satire and cynicism, they can also be sentimental when they want to be.


A Charlie Brown Christmas: This is a brave Christmas special simply because Charles Schultz was not afraid to spout out the religious aspect of Christmas through Linus' speech at the end. Whether you believe in it or not, it's something most Christmas specials avoid in this day and age, but the touching moment comes when Charlie Brown and friends gather around a dying Christmas tree and decorate it. In the era of Christmas commericalism which has dominated the season before this special first aired I think this moment is the reason this show has lasted.

How the Grinch Stole Christmas: I love Boris Karloff as the narrator/Grinch, and I love everything Chuck Jones does. I just love it when this is on. It's funny, witty, and heartwarming all in 22 minutes. I even got to be a "Who" once in a Christmas pageant, so that's another reason to love it.

That's it happy holidays!!!

No comments: