Sunday 10 March 2013

Sergio Leone's Infield Fly Rule Quiz

1) The classic movie moment everyone loves except me is:I guess the scene on the beach with Burt Lancaster and Deberah Kerr in "From Here to Eternity". I found their love story much less interesting than what was going on with Monty Clift and Donna Reed.

2) Favorite line of dialogue from a film noir: Keyes in Double Indemnity: "Closer than that Walter."

3) Second favorite Hal Ashby film: For Now I'm gonna say "Bound for Glory". Favorite is "Harold and Maude".

4) Describe the moment when you first realized movies were directed as opposed to simply pieced together anonymously. * I think it was just growing up and seeing familiar names on films like Frank Capra, John Ford, Alfred Hitchcock, and Steven Spielberg and realizing that their was something similar about their movies, it wasn't instantaneous, I gradually realized it.

5) Favorite film book: Probably "Hitchcock" by Francois Truffaut.

6) Diana Sands or Vonetta McGee? I have never seen any of their movies I believe.

7) Most egregious gap in your viewing of films made in the past 10 years. Probably new foreign filmmakers.

8) Favorite line of dialogue from a comedy: I'm abstaining from my usual Marx Brothers pantheon and instead will go with Steve Martin's "Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid" when I believe Cary Grant asks him if he wants a cigarette and he says "No thanks I have Tuberculosis."

9) Second favorite Lloyd Bacon film: I suppose I'll go with "42nd Street" after looking up what he did, I've only seen that and "Golddiggers of 1937", so the former would be the better film.

10) Richard Burton or Roger Livesey? I don't think I've seen Roger Livesey in anything so I won't answer.

11) Is there a movie you staunchly refuse to consider seeing? If so, why? I can't think of one off the top of my head, I'm sure under certain circumstances I'd be apt to see almost anything.

12) Favorite filmmaker collaboration: I'll go with Spielberg and Kubrick for "A.I."

13) Most recently viewed movie on DVD/Blu-ray/theatrical? Blue-ray: "The Insider", Theatrically: "Oz The Great and Powerful".

14) Favorite line of dialogue from a horror movie: "Bride of Frankenstien" when the monster says "I love dead, hate living."

15) Second favorite Oliver Stone film: Probably "Platoon" although the only film of his I feel compelled to see more than once is "JFK" which remains my favorite.

16) Eva Mendes or Raquel Welch? Eva Mendes

17) Favorite religious satire: "Life of Brian" of course.

18) Best Internet movie argument? (question contributed by Tom Block) I think if Video Games can be considered art, which I first heard on the Internet.

19) Most pointless Internet movie argument? (question contributed by Tom Block) Probably do fan boys ruin movies for the rest of us.

20) Charles McGraw or Robert Ryan? I like Charles McGraw, but Robert Ryan to me is one of those quintessential noir actors who i get excited about when I see his name on the screen.

21) Favorite line of dialogue from a western: From "Unforgiven", Eastwood's line "It's a hell of a thing killing a man, you take away all he's got, and everything he's ever going to have."

22) Second favorite Roy Del Ruth film: Haven't seen any of his films.

23) Relatively unknown film or filmmaker you’d most eagerly proselytize for: He was relatively unknown to me, but I guess he is well known in the film world, but Olivier Assayas.

24) Ewan McGregor or Gerard Butler? Ewan McGregor is an actor I enjoy seeing, while Gerard Butler is someone I usually don't enjoy seeing.

25) Is there such a thing as a perfect movie? Probably not, but in my mind "Tokyo Story" comes the closest, I don't see a flaw in it, but I am perhaps blinded from them.

26) Favorite movie location you’ve most recently had the occasion to actually visit * Last year I was in Paris, so basically any movie that took place in Paris.

27) Second favorite Delmer Daves film: "3:10 to Yuma" my first would be "Dark Passage"

28) Name the one DVD commentary you wish you could hear that, for whatever reason, doesn't actually exist *I would love to hear critic Jim Emerson's commentary on "Miller's Crossing" or "Barton Fink", I think that would be interesting.

29) Gloria Grahame or Marie Windsor? Gloria Grahame of course.

30) Name a filmmaker who never really lived up to the potential suggested by their early acclaim or success. I'll go for the easy answer since he's the only guy I can think of but M. Night Shalamayn.

31) Is there a movie-based disagreement serious enough that it might cause you to reevaluate the basis of a romantic relationship or a friendship?
* I don't think I've ever ended a relationship just based on that fact, but I showed a date "Casablanca" once where she thought it was corny, later I showed her "His Girl Friday" and she turned it off midway. I then took her to see The Coen Brothers "Burn after Reading" which was new in theatres, and she thought it was stupid. Needless to say it didn't work out.

No comments: