Sunday 16 December 2012

Worst Movies of 2012


Hey guys, I have just gone through the longest hibernation in this blog's history, what have I been doing? Well let's just say I've been busy with various different creative projects, along with various different real life things. But I'm here to say that Jeremy and the Movies has not retired despite what you may hear from these brash, new, young movie blogs. No, we keep on truckin, and will for hopefully more years to come.

Lot's to talk about, lot's of films in the air of course, as usual, I've been trying to catch up with all of the must-see event movies, and some of the smaller more indie movies that have come out this year in order to come out with my top ten list which should be ready by Oscar season. I'll also have my favorite performances, my Special Jury Prize, and 2012's MVP!

But this long process always begins with the bottom of the barrel. This of course comes from the worst movie of the year.

Now, seeing how I do try to avoid films that I don't see myself liking all that much, not many movies appear on this to make for an appropriate list. However, there are some films that fall through the cracks, and never fail to disappoint.

Two movies come to mind that totally made wish I didn't spend my time and money to watch, but unfortunately I did, and the only thing I can do in return is to prevent this from happening to anyone of you faithful movie watchers.

The first film "Rock of Ages" hides its crumminess from it's all out cheese factor, and 80s nostalgia. For some reason, movies like these get a free pass because they dupe the audience into thinking that just because they are self-aware of the high camp of their movie means it's all for fun. No, no, no, this cannot be. Yes, movies can be cheesy and fun, but those movies at least have some creativity to drive the cheese. "Rock of Ages" is about as bland as any of the overused hair band rock anthems this movie uses. Even usual fun actors like Alec Baldwin and Russel Brand can't lift this wreck into any sort of level. You can call me a Grinch, a Scrooge, or just a fan of alternative music, but "Rock of Ages" offers nothing that you haven't seen before, and nothing would make a worse double feature than this film with High School Musical 3.

The second film that fits into this worse movies category, is here just for the very reason that it inhabits almost everything I hate about certain movies.

I came into "Dredd" on a whim. I have a weakness for comic book movie, for me they are usually a nice escape, but this wasn't at all.

"Dredd" is actually a small scale comic book movie, it has a very simple plot, and for most movies, I'd consider that a godsend, as the biggest problem with most films are the overly complicated, and convoluted plots. "Dredd's" plot is fairly straight forward. The fault with the film is its execution. The film deals in a post- apocalyptic future where these the cities are ruled by judges who are judge, jury, and executioner all in one. Dredd is the most bad ass of these judges, and together with his rookie sidekick must take down a ruthless, violent gang ruler named Mama.

What I hated about this film, and what I hate about most of these types of films isn't the ultra-violence it revels in, but in the complete bleak, and nihilistic video game approach to its material. Dredd is mostly a faceless emotionless hero, he has a mean scowl worthy of Clint Eastwood, but a personality equal to a turnip. Bodies are blown apart, blood is splattered in all directions, and in the end you are left feeling pretty miserable and uninspired. I felt dirty after "Dredd", and maybe it's my weakness that I can't accept this sort of nihilistic point of view, but all I know is this movie made me feel sick inside, and that's something good movies don't do.

Well that's it, I'm sure there are other really bad films that were made this year, but I'm glad I didn't have to see them. Do yourself a favor and avoid bad movies at all costs, remember if it looks bad, it probably is.

No comments: