Tuesday 24 July 2012

The Best Films of 2012 ...So Far


I've been out of commission for more than a month now, but not to worry, more blogs will come ASAP. I've seen a lot of movies as of late, not as much as I've wanted to, also it's tough keeping an indie movie cred in a place like Red Deer Alberta. Anyway I thought I'd indulge in some of the films I thought have been the best so far this year.

1. Moonrise Kingdom Wes Anderson's latest is a fairy tale about young love. Perhaps his sweetest comedy with two very appealing (and COOL) little kids. Anderson's stuns with long running shots that are feasts for the eyes. Although he is accused of having films that are emotionally cold in favor of being too clever for his own good, I have not been more emotionally involved in a film as I have with this one all year.

2. Goon Probably the funniest comedy there has been all year. Sean William Scott has never been better, as a tough guy who is hired by a hockey team purely for his skills to win in fights. However it's full of a lot of unexpected heart, and the type of vulgar humour and action fit for the best hockey movies.

3. The Dark Knight Rises Although I'm not going to pretend this isn't without its problems, I was a big fan with how this third Christopher Nolan Batman film turned out. Batman to me seems a lot more mellow in this one, and I think this comes with the appearance of Anne Hathaway as Selina Kyle. She adds a spark to Batman and a touch of humour that I always thought the series lacked. I especially liked the scenes she shares with Christian Bale's Batman. Add to that some nice crowd pleasing scenes by Nolan and you got a very satisfying blockbuster.

4. Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter How nice it is to see a movie that doesn't take itself too seriously, this wears its B-movie origins proudly and doesn't apologize. I wonder sometimes at people who look for logic in their summer action movies, those who would accuse a fantastical film for being too far-fetched, I feel sorry for those people because they are the ones who would probably find no joy in films like this.

5.The Hunger Games Not knowing much about the story going into this film, I was put off guard with how dark it was. Although the serious and grim story didn't always gel quite right with the satirical stance on reality television, I was enthralled for the most part. This is mostly due to the charisma of the cast lead by Jennifer Lawrence, also Woody Harrelson is worth mentioning too as her trainer.

Well there you have it, honorable mentions might also go to "Cabin in the Woods" which felt more like a Joss Whedon movie than "The Avengers", the Farrelly Brothers loving ode to Larry, Moe, and Curley in "The Three Stooges", "Men in Black 3" which might have been the best of the series, and although it was unnecessary to make "The Amazing Spiderman" had enough original elements to separate itself from the Sam Raimi trilogy.

No comments: