Friday 21 October 2011

Sergio Leone and the Infield Fly Rule Seasonal Quiz

) Favorite Vincent Price/American International Pictures release.
Of what I've seen "The Fly"

2) What horror classic (or non-classic) that has not yet been remade would you like to see upgraded for modern audiences?
"The Return of Dr. X"

3) Jonathan Frid or Thayer David?
Don't know of them.

4) Name the one horror movie you need to see that has so far eluded you.
"The Haunting"

5) Favorite film director most closely associated with the horror genre.
James Whale

6) Ingrid Pitt or Barbara Steele?
Barbara Steele

7) Favorite 50’s sci-fi/horror creature.
The Martians from "War of the Worlds"

8) Favorite/best sequel to an established horror classic.
"Bride of Frankenstein"

9) Name a sequel in a horror series which clearly signaled that the once-vital franchise had run out of gas.
"Alien Vs. Predator"

10) John Carradine or Lon Chaney Jr.?
John Carradine

11) What was the last horror movie you saw in a theater? On DVD or Blu-ray?
In Theatres: "Let Me In" On DVD: "The Horror of Dracula"

12) Best foreign-language fiend/monster.
Klaus Kinski's Nosferatu

13) Favorite Mario Bava movie.
Haven't seen one

14) Favorite horror actor and actress.
Actor: Boris Karloff Actress: Vivian Leigh

15) Name a great horror director’s least effective movie.
Sam Raimi "Drag Me to Hell"

16) Grayson Hall or Joan Bennett?
Joan Bennett

17) When did you realize that you were a fan of the horror genre? And if you’re not, when did you realize you weren’t?
I think I just recently realized I was a fan of horror, thanks mostly in part to early Roman Polanski movies. his "Repulsion" and "Rosemary's Baby" are two films I've seen only for the first time over the past few years and I found them totally engrossing. Since then I've come to appreciate more horror films even though they aren't my favorite genre.

18) Favorite Bert I. Gordon (B.I.G.) movie.
HAven't seen one.

19) Name an obscure horror favorite that you wish more people knew about.
"Mad Love"

20) The Human Centipede-- yes or no?
Never.

21) And while we’re in the neighborhood, is there a horror film you can think of that you felt “went too far”?
Not one I've seen, but I have heard of films who's very concepts turn me off.

22) Name a film that is technically outside the horror genre that you might still feel comfortable describing as a horror film.
"Apocalypse Now", "Taxi Driver"

23) Lara Parker or Kathryn Leigh Scott?
Don't know them

24) If you’re a horror fan, at some point in your past your dad, grandmother, teacher or some other disgusted figure of authority probably wagged her/his finger at you and said, “Why do you insist on reading/watching all this morbid monster/horror junk?” How did you reply? And if that reply fell short somehow, how would you have liked to have replied?
My reply was a grunt to that person and I continued watching it. I would've liked to have replied by going into great detail that what I was watching was art, and it was effectively made, and I would've gotten on my pretensious highhorse to defend it.

25) Name the critic or Web site you most enjoy reading on the subject of the horror genre. Kim Morgan, mostly for pointing me in the direction of "Repulsion" among others.

26) Most frightening image you’ve ever taken away from a horror movie.
As a boy it was probably seeing Vera Miles finding the remains of Mrs. Bates in "Psycho", or Quint squirting up blood as he's being eaten in "Jaws". Lately it's the hands grabbing out from the walls in "Repulsion", and the naked old woman kissing Jack Nicholson in "The Shining".

27) Your favorite memory associated with watching a horror movie.
It was my first viewings of "King Kong" and "Frankenstein". They brought the fun out in horror for me the first time.

28) What would you say is the most important/significant horror movie of the past 20 years (1992-2012)? Why?
"The Descent" which is probably the one horror film I've seen that actually felt like an experience, and didn't rely on gimmicks or hoky slaughter. It was a frightening story that got under my skin.

29) Favorite Dr. Phibes curse (from either film).
Can't say I've seen one.

30) You are programming an all-night Halloween horror-thon for your favorite old movie palace. What five movies make up your schedule?
For my first festival it would be more of an outing from the classic period involving

"Frankenstein/Bride of Frankenstein"
"The Invisible Man"
"The Mummy"
"Nosferatu" (1922)
"Mad Love"

No comments: