Monday 5 April 2010

This Blog Entry Needs a Title

This questionaire was taken from the Sergio Leone and the Infield Fly Rule archives. I just haven't filled it out yet.

1) What was the last movie you saw, either in a theater or on DVD, and why?
In Theatre: "Hot Tub Time Machine" because my friends were going and I felt like a laugh.
On DVD: "Death Proof" because I haven't watched it since it was in theatres and I wanted to see it again.

2) Name the cinematographer whose work you most look forward to seeing, and an example of one of his/her finest achievements. Roger Deakins and his finest acheivment was probably "Fargo"

3) Joe Don Baker or Bo Svenson? Bo Svenson

4) Name a moment from a movie that made you gasp (in horror, surprise, revelation…)Lots of movies do that for me, the good ones anyway, but there is at least one moment in all films from "The Three Colors Trilogy" that has me gasping with revelation.

5) Your favorite movie about the movies. That is a tough question. Either Woody Allen's "Purple Rose of Cairo" or Truffaut's "Day For Night" are my answers.

6) Your Favorite Fritz Lang movie. Another tough question. When the cards are down, I will probably always go with "Metropolis".

7) Describe the first time you ever recognized yourself in a movie. Jimmy Stewart in "Mr. Smith Goes to Washington". I was a kid at the time, I was timid, shy, and naive. People have always said I have this innocent quality about me, and I stuttered when I spoke, mostly because I was so shy. Jefferson Smith was like looking in a mirror, the fact that he became a hero to look up to made it all the more special.

8) Carole Bouquet or Angela Molina? I have no idea who those ladies are, and after looking them up on IMDB, I don't think I've seen any of their films.

9) Name a movie that redeems the notion of nostalgia as something more than a bankable commodity. "Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull"

10) Favorite appearance by an athlete in an acting role. The Hansen Brothers in "Slap Shot", they might not've been real hockey players but how else coule they make the list.

11) Favorite Hal Ashby movie. I am so behind my Hal Ashby movie watching, I haven't even seen "Harold and Maude", but of the ones I've seen I would say "Bound for Glory".

12) Name the first double feature you’d program for opening night of your own revival theater. "The Kid" and "The General".

13) What’s the name of your revival theater? The Cinephile

14) Humphrey Bogart or Elliot Gould? Bogart, Gould's in a different time and a different category.

15) Favorite Robert Stevenson movie.
"Mary Poppins"

16) Describe your favorite moment in a movie that is memorable because of its use of sound. "2001: A Space Odyssey" when all you hear is the breathing of a man in space, and suddenly that breathing is no longer heard, and that's when you know that man is dead.

17) Pink Flamingoes-- yes or no?
Yes, since I have never seen it, so I'm always up for that.

18) Your favorite movie soundtrack score.
"Vertigo" or "Three Colors: Red"

19) Fay Wray or Naomi Watts?
Fay Wray was the scream queen and will forever be King Kong's true love, but I choose Naomi Watts for being the better actress overall.

20) Is there a movie that would make you question the judgment and/or taste of a film critic, blogger or friend if you found out they were an advocate of it?
"Paschandaele"

21) Pick a new category for the Oscars and its first deserving winner.
Best Comedy: "Horse Feathers"

22) Favorite Paul Verhoeven movie.
Did he do "Total Recall" if he did, then I pick that one.

23) What is it that you think movies do better than any other art form?
Live in the moment of the characters and situations that are going on.

24) Peter Ustinov or Albert Finney?
It's close, but Peter Ustinov was on "The Muppet Show" so he gets it.

25) Favorite movie studio logo, as it appears before a theatrical feature.
RKO, I miss it.

26) Name the single most important book about the movies for you personally.
My "1001 Greatest Movie Moments" book, I love going through it to see which films I have yet to see and which moments I have yet to experience.

27) Name the movie that features the best twist ending. (Please note the use of any “spoilers” in your answer.)If you could count "Three Colours Red" to be a twist ending, which in a way I do then I choose that.

28) Favorite Francois Truffaut movie.
"Jules and Jim" no contest.

29) Olivia Hussey or Claire Danes?
Claire Danes

30) Your most memorable celebrity encounter.
He was never in the movies but Bret The Hitman Hart I guess, he bumped into me. He was a guest voice on "The Simpsons" so hurray!

31) When did you first realize that films were directed?
I think when I was young, I may no have known what a director was, but I remember seeing Steven Spielberg's name and knowing his films had a certain similarity to eachother, the same could be said for Frank Capra when I saw his films. So it probably started with those two names.

No comments: