Tuesday 26 January 2010

Case Study: Kieslowski

This is a little different from my director of the month series I used to have, instead this is an on going project, think of it as if I was in real film school and had to write a thesis this is what it would be. Over the past two years or so I've been discovering the cinema of Krzysztof Kieslowski and like I was with Yasujiro Ozu before, his films have had a very personal impact on me. Keislowski's films deal very much with coincidence, and fate, they are philisophical which is probably why I find them so fascinating.

The films I will mostly focus on from Kieslowski are his "Decalogue" series and his "Three Colours Trilogy", but I will also focus somewhat on his early documentaries from the seventies and maybe some of his student films. My guide will mostly be coming from Annette Insdorff's book "Double Lives, Second Chances: The cinema of Krzystof Keslowski". I'm not sure how long this will take, call it an ongoing process. I would like this to be not only a dissection of his film work, but also of his philosophy on life.

No comments: