Saturday 21 March 2009

Movies I've seen Recently

Haven't been to the movies as much as I have wanted to, still there were a couple I happened to catch in my travels to the multiplex.

Watchmen: A thinking man's super hero movie if there ever was one. I must admit I read the graphic novel first to get me into the world of "The Watchmen". I wanted to separate myself from the novel when reviewing the film but I'm not sure how well that worked. First of all let me just say I enjoyed the film and perhaps better than the novel. I felt they actually improved on the ending, I also enjoyed the music choices provided which is something you don't hear in a regular super hero movie. My favorite part of both the film and the novel is the philosophical discussion between Dr. Manhattan(Billy Crudup) and Laurie Jupiter(Malin Akerman). It's one of the only times a comic book movie turned into something poetic. 3.5 stars out of 4

Coraline: As a fan of stop motion animation I was interested in seeing this film. "Coraline" isn't your regular kids movie which is often sweet and sentimental, it's refreshingly creepy and ominous. Part of that comes from the fact that we are dealing with a more stylized stop motion world other than a more polished and realistic looking computer generated one. Director Henry Selick creates a fantastic world where things come at you unexpectedly. My only regret is not seeing this in 3-D. 3.5 stars out of 4

No comments: