Saturday 24 January 2009

Initial Thoughts on The Oscar Nominations

2008 was not a bad year for movies, despite what critics might say to the contrary. Of course it's hard to compare it with 2007 which was one of the best years in movies in recent memory, 2008 to its credit came out with some nice little hidden gems which I'm just discovering.

The Academy on the other hand has a tendency to look past these gems from time to time, and it seems this year they're up to their old tricks. While I was pleased to see Richard Jenkins and Melissa Leo pick up nominations, and Lord knows I'll be pulling for "In Bruges" for Best Screenplay, the bulk of the nominees carry with them that whiff of prestige, and that is what puts me off the Oscars from time to time.

Maybe last year I was spoiled, there was "No Country for Old Men" which is in my mind an instant classic. This year the front runner is "Slumdog Millionaire" which is sort of the underdog movie the Academy craves. The film itself is not without its charm as it goes for a kinetic Dickensian energy, however I wasn't as moved as it wanted me to be. "Frost/Nixon" is a compelling piece of drama with Frank Langella and Michael Sheen giving great performances, but I was not surprised by a bit of the direction and it becomes nothing more than Hollywood gloss. "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button" takes some chances for a mainstream film regarding life and death, and the special effects are indeed a sight to behold, I even wept at the end of it, but still the actual life of Benjamin Button is never explored and in the end he still remains a mystery. As for "The Reader" and "Milk" I have yet to see them.

Much of the Oscar nominees this year don't interest me much, I'm much more interested in Oscars when there is a film to root for. This year the category I'll be most interested in will probably be for Best Actress since it was such a good year for actresses and it's nice to see some of them being nominated.

As for my predictions, I will probably get around to posting them as the time draws closer, and perhaps my apathy will turn into enthusiasm, however right now there isn't much that holds my interest.

No comments: