Wednesday 20 August 2008

Jules and Jim: Portrait of Artists as Young Men

I re watched "Jules and Jim" last night and it was about the third time I've seen it. It's loved for so many reasons but for me I love it because as I'm watching these characters live their lives I can't help but wish I was a part of it. The film is set in the early 1900s, where two young artists meet and form a friendship that will last for the rest of their lives. Jules (Oskar Werner) is the somewhat more softly spoken and introspective one, while Jim (Henri Serre) is more outgoing and has better luck with the ladies. But soon a new element is added to the friendship that being Catherine (Jeanne Moreau). Jules is the first to love Catherine and the two are soon married and have a child. Jim is their guest and the three live a very bohemian lifestyle in a cottage where they talk about love, and art. Jules becomes too much of a bore for the free spirited Catherine and soon she fancies Jim. Jules convinces Jim to start seeing Catherine as it would be the only way he could keep her in his life.

I can admire "Jules and Jim" for many reasons, it always resembles a dream for me which is something Truffaut probably intended, it's a twenty year relationship with three people but it never gives us long drawn out scenes about what their motivations are and never dwindles too long on the character's history. Also despite dealing with taboo subject matter such as a menage a troi and ending it tragically, Truffaut keeps it light and romanticises the character's lifestyle.

What sticks out for me and something that makes this film a personal favorite of mine is the way Truffaut portrays these people as artists and how they have made their own personal private heaven living in a small cabin in the woods, discussing art, literature, and life. To me that's my idea of heaven. Currently I'm living with people who I all consider artists, and I have the best time when we all sit together talking about films, or theatre, or music or anything else that comes to mind. Seeing "Jules and Jim" is like seeing a reflection of a life I long for, and despite the romantic entanglements with one woman it is a very ideal lifestyle.

"Jules and Jim" was adapted from a book Henri-Pierre Roche who was 73 when he wrote it, in contrast, Truffaut was not yet 30 when he directed the film and he approached it as a challenge, he would re-read the book until he memorized every section and he corresponded with the author many times so it would become a faithful adaption. It is considered today in being one of the major films of the french new wave and some would say it was Truffaut's crowning achievement.

"Jules and Jim" will always be special as something that can reflect something in my life and I can view it as if it were a pleasant dream.

No comments: